Updated: Jul 1, 2021
Burdock or Gobo is a fast growing weed-like plant that produces a thick, fibrous root with a light, crunchy texture. It has been regarded as a commonplace vegetable in many East Asian cultures with many health benefits and nutrients. It is used in dishes such as appetizers, salads, stir-frys, side dishes,and soups.
1. Good source of non-starch polysaccharides (inulin, glucoside-Lappin, and mucilage) which help cleanse the body of toxins by:
- promoting digestion
-act as a natural laxative to ease bowel movements
-a source of prebiotic nutrition
-the polysaccharides have diuretic and blood-purifying components
2. Good source of fiber, potassium, folic acid, riboflavin, pyridoxine, niacin, vitamin-E, and vitamin-C
3. It contains: iron, manganese, magnesium, and small amounts of zinc, calcium, selenium, and phosphorus
4. It has cardioprotective qualities that promote relaxation, suppress inflammation, and decrease and slow blood clotting.
5. It contains hypoglycemic properties which lower blood sugar levels due to high phenolic and flavonoid content.
This is a light, refreshing, and easy recipe that is great during the hot summer months or as a light meal.
Vegetarian Burdock Root Lettuce Wraps-Lettuce Recipe:
-1 head of Lettuce
-1/2 - 1 lb of Burdock Root, thinly sliced
- 1/2 - 1 cup Carrots, thinly sliced
- 4-5 Mushrooms, cubed or thinly sliced
- 1 cup Spinach
-1/2 Onion, thinly sliced
-optional: Vegetarian 'Meat' Patties or ground beef, chicken, or turkey if you prefer meat
-2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
-Olive oil (or your preferred oil)
-1-2 Beets, Thinly Sliced
-1/2 Onion, Thinly Sliced
-1/2- 2/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Wash and separate lettuce leaves, allow them to dry off
Peel the thick fibrous outer layer of the burdock root.
Cut the burdock roots into small, thin strips
Place the burdock roots into a bowl of cold water to prevent oxidation and discoloration, drain excess water before cooking.
Thinly slice the carrots, onions, and mushrooms, set aside.
To dehydrate the mushrooms slightly, heat up a dry frying pan on medium and saute it for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning, remove from heat.
Add olive oil to the pan, saute the carrots, onions, garlic, and burdock root for 4-5 minutes until it softens, remove from heat
Optional: saute Vegetarian ground 'Meat' Patties, breaking it up into small chunks with a wooden spatula
Combine mixture of carrots, onions, burdock root, mushrooms, and vegetarian meat in the pan. Add the spinach to the pan to cook until the leaves wilt
Season with salt and pepper, add the coconut aminos and fish sauce to the vegetable mixture for more flavor.
For the topping, thinly slice precooked red beets and onions
Optional: reduce 1/2 a cup of balsamic vinegar in a saucepan for 5-10 minutes on medium heat until it thickens
Assembly: bottom layer lettuce > vegetable mixture > thinly sliced beets and onions, drizzle with balsamic glaze
*Disclaimer: This blog is for educational and entertainment purposes only, and is NOT intended as medical advice. If you or any other person have a medical concern, please seek guidance from a medical professional.